According to legend, Seisui-ji Temple was opened by the monk Jikaku Daishi during the Heian era. It was originally a temple of the Tendai school of Buddhism but was converted to the Jodo (Pure Land) school in 1869.
The Kannon-do Hall, built in 1581, is the oldest wooden building in Aomori and is designated as a National Important Cultural Property Because it was built using the Zen style introduced from China during the Kamakura era, Seisui-ji is extremely important as a northern Tohoku example of an orthodox Zen Buddhist temple.
- 18-2 Aza Nakai, Korekawa, Hachinohe City
- By car: 10 minutes from Hachinohe IC
20 minutes from JR Hachinohe Station
15 minutes from downtown Hachinohe