According to legend, the Seisui Temple was founded by a monk named Jikaku Daishi during the Heian era. The temple originally belonged to the Tendai school of Buddhism but changed to the Jodo (Pure Land) school in 1869.
The Kannon Hall of the temple was built in 1581. It is the oldest wooden building in Aomori and a designated National Important Cultural Property. The Seisui Temple is a very important example of orthodox Zen Buddhist architecture in northern Japan. This is because it was built using a style of architecture introduced from China during the Kamakura era.
- 18-2 Aza Nakai, Korekawa, Hachinohe City
- By car: 10 minutes from Hachinohe IC
20 minutes from JR Hachinohe Station
15 minutes from downtown Hachinohe